Two large, ugly closure signs appeared back in March on the original lade footpath near Law Mill. While the signs declare the footpath to be closed, there is no physical barrier to using the path. We contacted Fife Council for details of the closure to find out if it was permanent or if there were works planned in the location. The council declined to comment so it’s possible that the signs are merely to avoid litigation or the requirement to repair the footpath.
Thanks go to Thelma Hardie for sending us this old photo of a waterfall on the Kinness Burn. After a bit of searching we managed to identify the location beside the Botanic Gardens near Cockshaugh Park. From the clothing of the two children it looks to be about 1960.
Thanks to the University of St Andrews Library we are now able to host images of the Lade Braes from their extensive photographic archive.
These photos were previously accessible from our site on the pages which they relate to. They are now part of our historic photos gallery.
Law Mill would still be a working mill in the photos of 1900. There are also two photos taken from almost identical spots (looking west towards Law Mill cottage) but 62 years apart.
These digital images are used courtesy of the University of St Andrews Library.
Thanks to the St Andrews Preservation Trust we have been able to add the following historic photographs from their collection.
The photo of the Law Mill wheel with a woman feeding the chickens is quite striking and evocative of the period. It’s a pity that milling had already stopped when this photo was taken.
The water pouring out of the harbour wall below the Shore Mill is coming out of the lade and began its journey 1.5 miles away at Law Mill.
These digital images are copyright © St Andrews Preservation Trust and are used with permission.
Both the St Andrews University Photographic Archive and Historic Environment Scotland have some interesting old photos of the Lade Braes and the water mills, some as early as 1900. Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce them on LadeBraes.net due to copyright restrictions, so I have added direct links to them from these pages: Lade Braes History, Denbrae Mill, Law Mill and New Mill.